Boost Immunity And Survive The Winter Blast! Vital Tips To Make It Through To Spring
Brrrr! I hope you’re keeping warm and well in the thick of winter! There are definitely some strong bugs going round this season, so I thought I’d share some of my immune-boosting tips.
It’s much easier to take measures to stay well than get well, though even if you get a cold or flu there is plenty you can do to lessen the duration and intensity of your illness.
These are some things I do daily as a matter of course throughout winter:
- Vitamin C 500mg, increased to 1g/day if you’ve ‘caught a chill’, or 1 gram every 3 hrs with full-on cold/flu symptoms
- Olive leaf extract (tip: the capsules are much easier to take than the liquid!)
- Netti pot every morning, increased to a few times a day with sinus congestion (unsure what this is? check out the image below, it’s an ancient yogic technique turned modern solution to sinusitis)
- Keep the neck area warm and protected
- Acupuncture treatment every few weeks
IF YOU GET SICK
These are some added things to up the ante if you’re experiencing cold and flu symptoms:
- Echinacea tincture
- Colloidal silver
- Chinese herbs (see your practitioner for an appropriate prescription)
- Immune-brew! Chop 2 cloves of garlic and a knob of ginger, simmer in a cup of water for 5 min. Add the juice of 1 lemon and a generous teaspoon of honey. Enjoy!team inhalation with a few drops of eucalyptus oil
- Afternoon naps! I am such a big nap-advocate. Even just lying down for 10-15min and doing a body scan and some deep breathing can help reset your system
- Manuka honey – choose one with a UMF grading of 16+ and above. Swallow a teaspoon slowly for a sore throat
Stay well and if you’d like some extra care for your immune system to prevent the onset of that nasty bug, get in touch with us at the Moonee Pond MindBody Health Centre to book an appointment and arrange your self-care strategy with Chinese Medicine.